This site provides a Google Spreadsheet for you to create timelines, with the heavy lifting done for you. There are a few challenges you may face when embedding information, but they are easy once you practice.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Visit the Timeline JS website
- Click “Make a Timeline”
- Click “Get the Spreadsheet Template”, then click “Make a Copy” – MAKE SURE YOU ARE LOGGED INTO YOUR MORAVIAN GOOGLE ACCOUNT!
- The spreadsheet has a few lines of examples. DO NOT delete columns or leave cells blank.
- In ROW 2, type the text over their text that you want displayed as your title.
- Delete the text in “Media Caption” cell
- Find an image (you’re allowed to use – see the tab on Images and Citations on this site) and grab the IMAGE’S web address (this is tricky sometimes)
- In Row 3, add an element of your timeline by entering text over their example
- Continue adding timeline dates – they do not have to be in order, the site will do that for you
- When you’re finished entering data, click “File” at the top of your spreadsheet, then “Publish to the Web”
- Click the blue “Publish” button then close the pop-up box
- Return to your spreadsheet and copy the web address (URL) at the top of the page
- Return to the Timeline JS website and paste the Google Spreadsheet URL in the box in Step 3, then hit enter
- Copy the link that is created in Step 4 and submit it to your teacher – any updates you make to the spreadsheet will AUTOMATICALLY be updated online
Check out this tutorial for the basics.